XP, or experience points, are points given in order to allow you to grow your character's powers. The XP system for Convergence is specifically designed so that this will happen slowly, but steadily, should you continue to play at Convergence. Points may be redeemed for magic, augmentations, and mutations (depending on your race), as well as items and skills (for everyone). This document should serve to tell you all you need to know about XP.
1) What if I don't want to use XP and I just want to RP like a normal person?
That's fine. Your character will not grow in skills or magic, but not everyone wants to grow their character quickly. Some people have more fun playing at a handicap or just don't really use magic or skills much. That's fine. Your HUD will nonetheless accrue monthly XP on your behalf.
2) How do I gain XP?
First, it should be noted that there is a monthly XP gain cap of 5 points. You are not allowed to gain more than 5 points a calendar month.
Everyone gets 1 point monthly. This point is given out on the first of the month, starting after you put on your HUD. If you put on your HUD for the first time on the first of the month, you may or may not gain it, depending on when the update runs. You do not have to put your HUD on after that to continue to gain that one point.
Past that, there are several ways to gain XP:
1) Staff: Staff members are granted 2 XP per month. Why? Because they work extraordinarily hard to keep this sim running. And because sometimes, that work keeps them from pursuing other ways of gaining XP. If someone is both an admin and a faction leader, they still will only get 2 points. Mentors also get 2 xp per month, provided they have been sufficiently active in their role. This XP will typically be applied on the first of the month. (2xp)
2) RP Logs. You can submit a particularly good RP log to be reviewed for XP once a month. You must submit it through the XP form, giving us a link to it on the RP Logs site. Only the person submitting the log will get the XP. Though other people can submit the same log. (1xp per month)
3) Character journals. If you've written at least three character journal entries on three different days of the PREVIOUS calendar month, you can submit a link to your journal for review. (So if you made 3 entries in May, you can claim it for XP in June.) (1xp per month)
4) Participation in ST-run mini-events and IC sim-events. Participation in scheduled IC events is the easiest way to gain XP, and there's no limit to how much you can gain per month from these events, save for the monthly cap. These might be combat events, or social events, plots or IC games run by STs, Faction Leaders, or other players. The host of the event needs to put it on the schedule on the forum (at least five days in advance), and then, after the event, submit a list of names of those who participated and a brief synopsis of the event. (1xp per player per event) Note: NOT ALL ST-RUN EVENTS WILL GARNER XP. IT IS UP TO THE ST IF THEY WISH TO GIVE XP FOR AN EVENT.
5) Hosting an IC event. You get extra XP if you host, or co-host an event. (There can be up to two hosts.) You need to put it on the events section of the webpage at least a week in advance and also submit a synopsis and list of participants after the event. The event must be attended by at least 5 people besides yourself, and may not be a "closed scene" -- it must be open to an entire faction, race, or the sim as a whole. Please keep a log of the scene in case questions arise. (1xp per month)
6) Donating 1000L or more to the sim. What? I can buy XP? Why yes, you can buy 1xp per month by donating to the sim at the donation meter in the OOC Zone. Whoa Z, is that unethical? I don't think so. You can only buy 1xp per month, and you don't HAVE to. There are plenty of other ways to get XP if you don't have the Ls. However, sims are expensive. 1000L amounts to about $4.00 a month. That's way less than the price of a movie to support a sim you probably spend way more time enjoying. Once you've donated, you'll need to submit an XP form with the date and time of the donation, and it will be added to your XP total when processed. (1xp per month)
7) Participating in sim projects and contests -- Occasionally, we'll have art contests, photography contests, story contests. If you win, you will get your XP for the month filled, but if you simply participate, you will often get Xp as well.
8) Creating content for the sim -- Are you a builder? Have you thought about an item you'd like to make and share with others? Would you like to create an object and sell it to raise funds for the sim? Would you like to make an Underkin t-shirt? How about a duck hat? Submit a proposal of what you'd like to make and if accepted, you will get xp when it is finished. (1 or 2 xp, depending on the project.)
9) Submitting Mini-quest Ideas (Or Miniquest Logs) -- Every player has, available to them, the ability to have their character do mini-quests. Mini-quests will be available (eventually) from a box in the OOC zone. You touch it, and you are given a prompt for RP such as "you have had your wallet stolen, investigate possible suspects to find it". You then do the RP and submit it for RP. Mini-quests are a way of expanding RP so that people do not get stuck in a rut. You can get XP both for submitting 3 Miniquest ideas, or for 1 miniquest log per month, but either way, you can only get 1 xp per month from Miniquests. Information about mini-quests can be found here. (1xp)
10) Blogging the sim. Yes. Promotion. If you have a blog, and you do a post during a month which both mentions Convergence and has a link to our sim and has at least one photograph from our sim, you can submit it to receive experience for that month. (1xp per month)
11)Adding time to the website. If you add time to our website, either by paying for it or by doing the little promotional activities that Enjin has you do for free time extension, we will give you xp. For more information on this, check the "donate to website" module on the front page. (1 per month).
12) Addendum -- Newly Added Ways to Gain XP:
Effective immediately, you will be able to gain XP for the following:
A) Twelve is a huge number in Convergence Lore. As such, we're establishing the 12th of EVERY month as "Meet Someone New" day. On the 12th, and only on the 12th, you can do and submit a scene where your character interacts with a character they have never met before. It must be obvious from the scene that they are meeting for the first time. And the scene should include a conversation of acceptable length. (You can't just say hi to them as you walk past.)
B) You may submit an RP log of an interaction between your character and a character that has been approved within the last 30 days. You can do the scene at any time during that month, but the submission must be within those first 30 days and timestamped in the XP ticket as such.
You may gain 1xp per month from these methods. (You can do option A OR option B, but not both.)
3) How do I know how much XP I have?
You will know how much XP you currently have because it will be displayed in your Immersion HUD. This HUD draws from a database that tracks your XP. It's fine to detach or update your HUD because the definitive amount of XP is in the database, not in your HUD. When you put on your HUD, it will ask you what your character's race is. Once you have chosen, your name is registered in the database.
4) How do I spend XP?
You will spend XP by submitting an XP expenditure request via the web. It will be the same form used to submit logs, reports on events, notices of donations, etc.
Note: You may only spend accumulated XP after a 30 day cooldown period following character creation. This is to make sure you are comfortable with your character and to give our XP handlers sufficient breathing room in the endless deluge that is enjin tickets.
5) How much XP can I spend and how often?
Skills: There are no limits to how many skills you can buy. Skills will cost the same amount they cost at creation, however, you can only raise one skill at a time. You may raise them however much you want (you can spend 4 points on Cooking, say, to become a Master Chef in a month). Training skills takes a flat four weeks during which time it is expected you will demonstrate in your RP that you are indeed learning. Do not be afraid to mess up during this time; It creates opportunities for RP that otherwise might be missed out on. You may reduce the learning time on a skill from 4 weeks to 2 weeks if you have a trainer in that skill as long as you are learning a level lower than grandmastery. The trainer MUST be one level of skill HIGHER than the level you are learning. (This is why you cannot have a skill reduction timer for grandmaster skills - no one has a rank higher than grandmaster to teach you.)
For instance: You want to learn mastery in cooking. You find someone with the skill at grandmastery, who can teach you, reducing your learning time from 4 weeks to 2 weeks.
Moving to grandmaster level will require an extra 2 weeks on top of the base 4 weeks - 6 weeks total. During this time you cannot advance or gain any other skills.
Items: You may only buy one magic item per month with XP, and we only permit three items total. Magic items will typically cost 2 points per effect per magic level (so, one effect at level 2 will cost 4 points, since level 2 magics cost 8 points), however the final XP price will be set by the admins after you send in your item request..
Magic/Mutations/Augmentations: And you may only buy one magic/augmentation/mutation, per month with XP. It takes a flat 2 week period from date of purchase to master it to the level purchaced during which time it is expected you will demonstrate in your RP that you are indeed learning. Do not be afraid to mess up during this time; It creates opportunities for RP that otherwise might be missed out on.
Level 3 magics require a prolonged quest which may take you a lot of time and effort to complete.
Mutations and Augmentations cost exactly how much they cost at creation.
Magic costs the following:
New level 1 magic: 4 points
Level 2 Magic: 8 points
Level 3 Magic: 16 points
Robots, Mutants and Cyborgs may only buy up to 56 more points of mutations/augmentations. Mutants may buy up to 3 rare mutations, but if they bought one at creation, they may only buy two more. (3 total).
Magic Casting races may spend up to 56 points on magics, and may only have ONE level 3 magic. Buying your level 3 magic will require a quest. You may not have more than 5 types of magic total.
(However, your character must be at least one year old (from date of approval) in order to have more than 48 points in magics, take your third rare mutation, or purchase your fifth magic.)
Players can spend XP on any combination of these three areas, but only 2 of 3 at any one time:
Magic/Mutation/Augmentation Skills Extras
This means a player can spend XP at the same time on any of the following combinations:
Magic/Mutation/Augmentation and Skill Magic/Mutation/Augmentation and Extra Skill and Extra
You can not double up. So you can't buy two magics, or two extras at a time.
6) What happens if I have two characters on one avatar?
You will only be able to gain up to 5xp per month on your avatar, but you can use it for either character. If you have a second character on your avatar, please send a NC to Kairixian Moonshadow so that he can flag the census to poll you again for your new avatar.
7) What happens if I re-roll?
If you re-roll, you need to send a note to Kairixian Moonshadow so that he can adjust the census data. You will keep your unspent XP from your previous character and it can be applied to your new character starting 1 month after you re-roll.
8) Will there be pie?
I am certain of it. I'm hoping for pumpkin, but it might be apple. Hard to say.