XP, or experience points, are points given in order to allow you to grow your character's powers. The XP system for Convergence is specifically designed so that this will happen slowly, but steadily, should you continue to play at Convergence. Points may be redeemed for magic, augmentations, and mutations, as well as items and skills. This document should serve to tell you all you need to know about XP.
1) What if I don't want to use XP and I just want to RP like a normal person?
That's fine. Your character will not grow in skills or magic, but not everyone wants to grow their character quickly. Some people have more fun playing at a handicap or just don't really use magic or skills much. That's fine. Your HUD will nonetheless accrue monthly XP on your behalf.
2) How do I gain XP?
First, it should be noted that there is a monthly XP gain cap of 5 points. You are not allowed to gain more than 5 points a calendar month.
Everyone gets 1 point monthly.This point is given out on the first of the month, starting after you put on your HUD. If you put on your HUD for the first time on the first of the month, you may or may not gain it, depending on when the update runs. You do not have to put your HUD on after that to continue to gain that one point.
Past that, there are several ways to gain XP:
1) Staff: Staff members are granted 2 XP per month. Why? Because they work extraordinarily hard to keep the sim running. And because sometimes, that work keeps them from pursuing other ways of gaining XP. If someone is both an admin and a faction leader, they still will only get 2 points. Mentors also get 2 xp per month, provided they have been sufficiently active in their role. This XP will typically be applied on the first of the month. (2xp)
2) RP Logs. You can submit a particularly good RP log to be reviewed for XP once a month. You must submit it through the XP form, giving us a link to it on the RP Logs site. Only the person submitting the log will get the XP. Though other people can submit the same log. (1xp per month)
3) Character journals. We encourage creative character journals to be posted to our forums. If you've written at least three character journal entries on three different days of the PREVIOUS calendar month, you can submit a link to your journal for review. (So if you made 3 entries in May, you can claim it for XP in June.) (1xp per month)
4) Participation in ST-run mini-events and IC sim-events. Participation in scheduled IC events is the easiest way to gain XP, and there's no limit to how much you can gain per month from these events, save for the monthly cap. These might be combat events, or social events, plots or IC games run by STs, Faction Leaders, or other players. The host of the event needs to put it on the schedule on the forum (at least five days in advance), and then, after the event, submit a list of names of those who participated and a brief synopsis of the event. See the EVENTS document for more details. (1xp per player per event)Note: NOT ALL ST-RUN EVENTS WILL GARNER XP. IT IS UP TO THE ST IF THEY WISH TO GIVE XP FOR AN EVENT.
5) Hosting an IC event. You get extra XP if you host, or co-host an event. (There can be up to two hosts in certain situations -- see the events document for more details.) You need to put it on the events section of the webpage at least five days in advance and also submit a synopsis and list of participants after the event. The event must be attended by at least 5 people besides yourself, and may not be a "closed scene" -- it must be open to an entire faction, race, or the sim as a whole. Please keep a log of the scene in case questions arise. (Event planning and execution - 2xp, once per month)
6) Donating 1000L or more to the sim. What? I can buy XP? Why yes, you can buy 1xp per month by donating to the sim at the donation meter in the OOC Zone. Whoa Z, is that unethical? I don't think so. You can only buy 1xp per month, and you don't HAVE to. There are plenty of other ways to get XP if you don't have the Ls. However, sims are expensive. 1000L amounts to about $4.00 a month. That's way less than the price of a movie to support a sim you probably spend way more time enjoying. Once you've donated, you'll need to submit an XP form with the date and time of the donation, and it will be added to your XP total when processed. Seriously, please do this if you can, it really helps us out. (1xp per month)
7) Participating in sim projects and contests -- Occasionally, we'll have art contests, photography contests, story contests. If you win, you will get your XP for the month filled, but if you simply participate, you will often get Xp as well.
8) Creating content for the sim -- Are you a builder? Have you thought about an item you'd like to make and share with others? Would you like to create an object and sell it to raise funds for the sim? Would you like to make an Underkin t-shirt? How about a duck hat? Submit a proposal of what you'd like to make and if accepted, you will get xp when it is finished. (1 to 3 xp, depending on the project.)
9) Submitting Mini-quest Ideas (Or Miniquest Logs) -- Every player has, available to them, the ability to have their character do mini-quests. Mini-quests will be available (eventually) from a box in the OOC zone. You touch it, and you are given a prompt for RP such as "you have had your wallet stolen, investigate possible suspects to find it". You then do the RP and submit it for RP. Mini-quests are a way of expanding RP so that people do not get stuck in a rut. You can get XP both for submitting 3 Miniquest ideas, or for 1 miniquest log per month, but either way, you can only get 1 xp per month from Miniquests. (1xp)
10) Blogging the sim.Yes. Promotion. If you have a blog, and you do a post during a month which both mentions Convergence and has a link to our sim and has at least one photograph from our sim, you can submit it to receive experience for that month. We do not count submissions to Flickr as blog posts. (1xp per month)
11) Adding time to the website. If you add time to our website, either by paying for it or by doing the little promotional activities that Enjin has you do for free time extension, we will give you xp. For more information on this, check the "donate to website" module on the front page. (1 per month).
12) Meet Someone New Day - Twelve is a huge number in Convergence Lore. As such, we're establishing the 12th of EVERY month as "Meet Someone New" day. On the 12th, and only on the 12th, you can do and submit a scene where your character interacts with a character they have never met before. It must be obvious from the scene that they are meeting for the first time. And the scene should include a conversation of acceptable length. (You can't just say hi to them as you walk past.) (1xp)
13) RPing With New Players - You may submit an RP log of an interaction between your character and a character that has been approved within the last 30 days. You can do the scene at any time during that month, but the submission must be within those first 30 days and timestamped in the XP ticket as such. (1xp)
14) Subfaction Leadership - Subfaction Leads get 1xp per month for running their sub-faction. They will need to submit an XP ticket in order to claim the XP (1xp)
3) How do I know how much XP I have?
You will know how much XP you currently have because it will be displayed in your Immersion HUD. This HUD draws from a database that tracks your XP. It's fine to detach or update your HUD because the definitive amount of XP is in the database, not in your HUD. When you put on your HUD, it will ask you what your character's race is. Once you have chosen, your name is registered in the database.
4) How do I spend XP?
You will spend XP by submitting an XP expenditure request via the web. It will be the same form used to submit logs, reports on events, notices of donations, etc.
Note: You may only spend accumulated XP after a 30 day cooldown period following character creation. This is to make sure you are comfortable with your character and to give our XP handlers sufficient breathing room in the endless deluge that is enjin tickets.
5) How much XP can I spend and how often?
Skills: There are no limits to how many skills you can buy except for Magic Defense Skills. Skills will cost the same amount they cost at creation, however, you can only raise one skill per month. You may raise them however much you want (you can spend 8 points on Cooking, say, to become a Master Chef in a month). Although there is no required training time, we suggest spending a few weeks ICly training your new skill. Preference for skill train requests will be given to those who have an IC trainer, and trainers may be required for some specialized skills. The trainer MUST be one level of skill HIGHER than the level you are learning (unless you are learning a Grandmaster skill, then they must be a grandmaster). You must have some teacher or other IC way of learning Grandmaster skills past the initial app.
Skills cost 2XP per level, to a total of 10XP. That means Novice costs 2xp. And then Apprentice costs 2xp. Journeyman costs 2xp. Once you get to journeyman, you have spent 6xp on that skill.
Important Note: If you purchase a grandmaster skill, you will be expected to train others ICly as part of promotion of RP and having that skill.
Items: You may only buy one magic or special item (such as an NPC pet) per month with XP, and we only permit three permanent special items total. (One-use items are not considered permanent.) The final XP price of an item will be set by the XP admins after you send in your item request.
Magic/Mutations/Augmentations: And you may only buy one magic/augmentation/mutation, per month with XP. It takes a flat 2 week period from date of purchase to master it to the level purchaced during which time it is expected you will demonstrate in your RP that you are indeed learning. Do not be afraid to mess up during this time; It creates opportunities for RP that otherwise might be missed out on. Mutations and Augmentations cost exactly how much they cost at creation unless otherwise stated.
Magic costs the following:
New level 1 magic: 4 points
Level 2 Magic: 8 points
Level 3 Magic: 16 points
Level 4 Magic: 28 points
Robots and Chimeransmay only buy up to 18 mutations/augmentations without special permission. Chimerans may buy up to 3 rare mutations, but if they bought one at creation, they may only buy two more. They may have ONE ultrarare mutation.
Magic Casting racesmay only have ONE level 3 magic and ONE level 4 magic. You may not have more than 5 types of magic total. Purchase of a level 4 magic may require a certain amount of time invested in the sim, a record of good sim stewardship, a record of excellent RP - and specifically RP surrounding or involving your chosen magic, and potentially a task or quest assigned by the STs to be completed.
Players can spend XP on any combination of these three areas, but only 2 of 4 at any one time: Magic/Mutation/Augmentation Skills Extras
This means a player can spend XP at the same time on combinations such as:
Magic and Skill
Item and Extra Augmentation and Extra Skill and Extra
Skill and Item
You can not double up. So you can't buy two magics, or two extras at a time. Basically, you can purchase two things a month (every 30 days, not per calendar month) with XP and they can't be the same type of thing.
6) What happens if I have two characters on one avatar?
You will only be able to gain up to 5xp per month on your avatar, but you can use it for either character. If you have a second character on your avatar, please send a NC to Kairixian Moonshadow so that he can flag the census to poll you again for your new avatar.
7) What happens if I re-roll?
If you re-roll, you need to send a note to Kairixian Moonshadow so that he can adjust the census data. You will keep your unspent XP from your previous character and it can be applied to your new character starting 1 month after you re-roll.
8) What happens to my spent XP if I die? **New Reimbursement Rules**!!!
Starting Oct 2, 2017 -- If your character dies, and you intend to make a new character on that avatar, you can be reimbursed 50% of your spent XP IF you follow the correct process:
Send in an ST ticket saying that your character has died, or will soon die.
The ST will tally your spent XP and add that tally to the ticket.
The ST will calculate 50% (rounded up) of your XP.
The ST will let you know that has been done.
You may then cancel your Enjin app, and re-submit a new app for your new character. You will need to reference your ticket and old app in your new app so that the app handlers know you have the extra XP to spend. You may only spend it at the creation of a new character.
You may only utilize this option once per six months per avatar. This only applies if the character experiences permanent death, not the kind of death where they become a vampire or a wraith. You don't use your death to punish other players or ruin their RP fun. (Damaging other characters on your way out is fine. If you don't understand the difference, consult an ST.) It CAN be applied to characters who died prior to Oct 1, 2017 but ONLY IF: your old application has not been cancelled.
This allows people who feel like they made bad decisions on what they wanted to play the first time around, or that they no longer are really interested in a particular character to go out with a bang. We're excited about this option and hope you are too! (XP Reimbursement Suggested by: Kairixian Moonshadow)