Rentals are important to keeping Convergence paid for. Rentals also give you a bit of the sim that you can feel like is your own. Since most of the sim is considered public to some degree, rentals are also a place to find privacy and have more intimate types of RP. These are guidelines and rules to keep in mind when renting at CV.
1) Rentals may be large or small, but are generally first-come-first-serve. There are occasionally rentals that will be put on reserve, but this generally only happens when something erroneous has happened, like we had to replace someone's rental with a public building, Casperlet (our rental system) has broken and we had to reset something to fix it, and some such. In general, if a rental meter is green, you can rent.
2) The rental rate is generally 1:5/week. This means one prim to 5L. A rental with 25 prims will then cost 125L a week. Requests for extra prims are not always granted, mostly because we have limited prims on the sim, and we must be careful with the prim count. But you can always ask!
3) I rented a rental and now I need a rental group and/or someone's stuff is in my rental. You'll need to contact the Rental Admin. They can return the previous renter's stuff and add the rental group for you.
4) I can't find any open rentals. In the past, we've had our rentals sell out on a fairly regular basis. If we see this happening regularly, we will add more rentals if the prim count allows it. The Rental Admin may also post open rentals to the forums, so make sure to keep an eye there for those posts and what might be open, but in an out-of-the-way place.
5) Can people just...enter my rental? No. No, they can not. Rentals are considered private property. However, they are also considered to EXIST in our world. This means that with an ST present, someone could break into your house and "steal" your stuff. For this reason, people do seek to get security systems or wards approved for their rentals. We generally make it fairly difficult for invaders, as well, as we don't want to have to ST dozens of home invasions a week, so this isn't just going to happen willy-nilly. Someone is going to have to be super serious about wanting to be in YOUR house, know where it is, and risk quite a bit to get in.
6) I can "hear" my neighbor's ERP (RP sex) because they are in chat distance, and it's annoying. Sadly, this is going to happen sometimes. If this is something that really annoys you, you have two options. 1) You can look for a rental that is not in chat distance of others. 2) You can politely ask the person if they will take it to IMs. They don't have to. That's not a requirement on our sim, though we do encourage it simply for niceness if rentals are very close to another.
7) Can I decorate my rental however I want? Yes. And no. There are some Second Life companies that make items that contribute severely to lag. Specifically the brand "NBN". Please do not rez anything from this company. It will be returned. If your items are overly laggy, they might end up returned. Also, we do reserve the right to return things that are outside of the realm of good taste or cause such overwhelming grief to others as to detract from the roleplay experience. An example of this might be pictures of another avatar nude without their permission with no IC way of having obtained such, or covering your entire rental in nazi flags. Even if your character is, in fact a nazi - one flag is enough, and don't cry if someone sees it and then attempts to burn down your rental IC.
8) I am an Exos League Captain. How can I rent a ship? Since ships are very primmy, we have ship skyboxes that captains can use as the RP area of their ship if you want. (Not required.) First, you will need to contact the Rental Admin (currently Eve Gaelyth). She'll help you get to the ships area, so you can pick out a ship to rent. We have several different skyboxes at the moment. Once you have rented your ship, please send a NC to Zekkiel Zerundi with the name of your ship, the IC character name of the captain of the ship, and a LM to your rental. A TPer will then be programmed within the Exos League HQ so that you, and others, can get to your ship.